Saturday, October 18, 2014

Creating a children’s book

In 2013, I began thinking about translating my comic strip into a children’s book. It was obvious to me that my Dozi the Alligator character resonated with readers, but as much as I loved creating Hoxwinder Hall, unless you are a syndicated daily cartoonist with your strip appearing in hundreds of newspapers, there wasn’t much financial reward in creating a comic strip. The effort it took to create my strip was simply not worth the reward. I decided that my efforts would be better spent somewhere else.

And so that got me thinking how much a younger audience would really love Dozi. So I set out to write a children’s book. “Dozi the Alligator” would tell the story of how Dozi meets Byron Hoxwinder. It would basically be a prologue to my comic strip “rebooted” for younger kids who may not have ever heard of my strip.

(a verse from a Dozi the Alligator children's book)