Saturday, October 25, 2014

KickStarter

Funding My Project
Producing a high-quality children’s book is not easy or cheap, so I decided to try funding the endeavor through Kick Starter, the popular crowd-funding website. It had been several years since I had successfully funded my Hoxwinder Hall book project using InidieGoGo. This time I wanted my campaign to be much more polished and professional.

I began designing the campaign, giving a lot of thought to how I would present my project to the public. I referenced other very successful Kick Starter campaigns as a template for my own campaign. After about a week of thinking it all through, I started creating my reward graphics and a storyboard for the video that would tell my story.

I was also very fortunate to glean the wisdom of Kevin Kallaugher (KAL), the editorial cartoonist for The Economist magazine of London and The Baltimore Sun, who had an extremely successful Kick Starter campaign months earlier. I met Kevin through a mutual friend on Facebook, and he graciously spoke to me over the phone, offering his very helpful insights on crowd-funding.

(reward graphics for my Kick Starter campaign)

(storyboard for my Kick Starter video)

More about the very talented editorial cartoonist, Kevin Kallaugher (KAL)