Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Collaborating through cyberspace
My illustrator, Nicola Sammarco, was a twenty-one-year-old Italian artist living in Italy. Fortunately for me, he also spoke English. We communicated primarily through social media, with direct messaging through Facebook. I sent Nicola the verses from my children's book, along with rough sketches and descriptions of how I envisioned each illustration. I remember thinking how remarkable it was that I hired an Italian illustrator, who I found through the internet, and was now working with him through cyberspace. The whole process was incredible, and also effortless!

I continued to be impressed with the images Nicola was creating. As the first few illustrations were completed, I realized that this book was going to be something very special...

(some of he first finished pages from my children's book.
©Daniel Boris. All Rights Reserved. Illustrations by Nicola Sammarco.)